Developing Through a Common Purpose
A small group ministry is the intentional formation of 6 -12 people, who come together with the common purpose of developing in Christ. The ministry is "small" because the trust, participation and openness essential to the effectiveness of an individual's development in Christ are difficult to obtain in larger settings.
Small Groups draw us nearer to God because they ...
- Enhance spiritual growth through encouragement and affirmation.
- Allow the giving and receiving of companionship and support. Nurture new relationships and friendships.
- Foster a greater sense of belonging.
- Equip and empower individuals for genuine ministry.
- Provide caring and encouragement.
- Train tomorrow's leaders.
- Build bridges to "un-churched" family, friends and acquaintances.
- Create meaningful fellowship.
- Center people in the life and work of the congregation.
- Develop trust, union and commitment among people.
History of Small Groups: In the Early Church, small groups would gather together in each other's homes. During these gatherings, people were encouraged to be themselves, to express their difficulties and their joys. In their imperfectness, they encouraged each other to continue being disciples of Jesus; to develop in Christ. These groups formed a support structure to help one another live the example Jesus gave them in the midst of extreme persecution. The most important "work" toward being a disciple went on in these homes.
Although times have changed and Christians are no longer persecuted as they once were, it is still extremely difficult to be authentically Christian in today’s society. And because Jesus’ mission was based upon the relational ministry of discipleship, the small group setting remains an essential component of Jesus’ mission for the church: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 19:28). By definition, without personal relationship, there is no discipleship. Small groups provide the participation, trust and openness required for true discipleship and growth in Christ.
- Worship 9:30 AM: Relaxed Traditional – Traditional and new hymns with our Chancel Choir.
- Worship 11 AM: Contemporary / Modern Worship – Band, Candles, Families.
- Sunday school for children at each hour. Loving nursery care, too.
- Address: We are located at 30605 Avenida de Las Flores, Rancho Santa Margarita.
This Week at RSM Campus
On Sunday we continue our series on "Making All Things New." Last week we talked about the "What" of the Gospel - the very nature of the Gospel and how God wants to transform the world through it. This week we are going to talk about the "Who" of the Gospel. We are continuing to move through Colossians and as it progresses Paul begins to pray for the people of Colasse and does so because he knows that they will need great trust and knowledge of Who the gospel is about, and Who will cause life transformation. So this week we will gather together to talk about Who Jesus is when it comes to transformation newness. What we discover is that Jesus makes things new everyday if we simply allow those tiny transformations to lead to big ones..... See you Sunday as we talk about the image of the invisible!
Church Wide News & Events
Pastor Craig’s Final Sunday at Shepherd of the Hills: Pastor Craig will celebrate his final Sunday at Shepherd of the Hills on June 16th. There will be one worship service at each campus that morning. • Rancho Santa Margarita Campus – 9:00 a.m. Worship, Pastor Craig Preaching • Mission Viejo Campus – 10:30 a.m. Worship, Pastor Craig Preaching Following worship at the Mission Viejo Campus, there will be a celebration luncheon of Mexican street tacos! After lunch, a gathering will be held in the sanctuary at Mission Viejo.
- Pastoral News: The Rev. Karl Stuckenberg to Be Appointed as the New Lead Pastor at Shepherd of the Hills...
- 'Celebrate Recovery': Launched April 10th at 6:30 pm at the MV Campus (part of "Connect"). The weekly gathering will serve as a support group for dealing with hurts, habits and hang-ups, providing a place to share, fellowship, and embark on a path to healing.
- 'Connect' Gatherings: Wednesdays from 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm, Mission Viejo Campus
- Event Highlights: See what events are going on at both campuses here...
- Shepherd of the Hills Happenings: Read our monthly newsletter here...
- Campus Scenes: View a short video of scenes and activities from our campus.
- View Current Sermons: If you missed or want to re-experience a recent sermon, we have audio and video for you.
- Newsletters: An archive of recent newsletters. See what’s been going on.
- Sermon Series: Read about what’s upcoming and what’s past.