Developing Through a Common Purpose
A small group ministry is the intentional formation of 6 -12 people, who come together with the common purpose of developing in Christ. The ministry is "small" because the trust, participation and openness essential to the effectiveness of an individual's development in Christ are difficult to obtain in larger settings.
Small Groups draw us nearer to God because they ...
- Enhance spiritual growth through encouragement and affirmation.
- Allow the giving and receiving of companionship and support. Nurture new relationships and friendships.
- Foster a greater sense of belonging.
- Equip and empower individuals for genuine ministry.
- Provide caring and encouragement.
- Train tomorrow's leaders.
- Build bridges to "un-churched" family, friends and acquaintances.
- Create meaningful fellowship.
- Center people in the life and work of the congregation.
- Develop trust, union and commitment among people.
History of Small Groups: In the Early Church, small groups would gather together in each other's homes. During these gatherings, people were encouraged to be themselves, to express their difficulties and their joys. In their imperfectness, they encouraged each other to continue being disciples of Jesus; to develop in Christ. These groups formed a support structure to help one another live the example Jesus gave them in the midst of extreme persecution. The most important "work" toward being a disciple went on in these homes.
Although times have changed and Christians are no longer persecuted as they once were, it is still extremely difficult to be authentically Christian in today’s society. And because Jesus’ mission was based upon the relational ministry of discipleship, the small group setting remains an essential component of Jesus’ mission for the church: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 19:28). By definition, without personal relationship, there is no discipleship. Small groups provide the participation, trust and openness required for true discipleship and growth in Christ.
- Worship 9:30 AM: Relaxed Traditional – Traditional and new hymns with our Chancel Choir.
- Worship 11 AM: Contemporary / Modern Worship – Band, Candles, Families.
- Sunday school for children at each hour. Loving nursery care, too.
- Address: We are located at 30605 Avenida de Las Flores, Rancho Santa Margarita.
This Week at RSM Campus
Jesus was one of the best story tellers to ever share a tale. We call them parables, but regardless of the terms we use, these stories teach us the truth of who God is and who he wants us to be. This week, we continue our series, "Tell Me a Story," looking at the Parables of Jesus. Come worship with us!
Church Wide News & Events
- 'Trunk or Treat and Chili Cookoff': This Sunday, October 27th from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m at our RSM campus. Join us for a late afternoon of games, crafts, pots and pots of great chili, and of course, Trick or Treating! $5 per family.
- 'Celebrate Recovery': This weekly gathering serves as a support group for dealing with hurts, habits and hang-ups, providing a place to share, fellowship, and embark on a path to healing.
- 'Connect' Gatherings: Wednesdays from 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm, Mission Viejo Campus
- Event Highlights: See what events are going on at both campuses here...
- Shepherd of the Hills Happenings: Read our monthly newsletter here...
- Campus Scenes: View a short video of scenes and activities from our campus.
- View Current Sermons: If you missed or want to re-experience a recent sermon, we have audio and video for you.
- Newsletters: An archive of recent newsletters. See what’s been going on.
- Sermon Series: Read about what’s upcoming and what’s past.